Best Solo Travel Essentials in 2024:
These solo travel essentials will help make your next solo travel safe, easy, and adventurous! By having these items, they will not only provide peace of mind but also enhance your travel experiences like a pro!
Best Safety Items:
- Safety alarm
- Luggage Locks
- Money belt
- Door lock
- Travel Insurance
- Universal Travel Adapter
- Mobile hotspot
- Solar power portable charger
- Wireless headphones
- Nintendo Switch
Best Must Have Items:
- Rain Resistant Backpack
- Rainproof and wind resistant Jacket
- Reusable Water Bottle
Continue reading if you want an In-depth review of each solo travel essential. Including key benefits, con, and my personal experience using the item.
Best Safety Solo Travel Essentials:
Before you travel solo, you should know some of the best safety tips to ensure you have a safe and adventurous trip!
One of the top concerns for solo travelers is personal safety. Especially when you’re navigating unfamiliar places or walking alone at night. Which makes the personal safety alarm great for all travelers in any place in the world!
- The alarm is a discreet yet stylish device that offers added peace of mind anywhere you travel.
- Its unassuming design allows you to clip it onto your belt bag or backpack for easy access.
- With a simple pull of a pin, you can activate a loud alarm and a flashing strobe light, deterring potential threats and alerting others to your situation.
- Many amazon users have reported receiving a defective birdie alarm that is not loud enough when the pin is pulled.
- Many amazon users reported that after a few months the alarm goes off unexpected or after lightly touching it.
Protecting your valuables, especially your money and travel documents, while traveling solo is a top priority.
- A money belt is an excellent choice for keeping your passport, cash, and credit cards secure and easily accessible.
- Its sweat-resistant design and two zippered pockets ensure that your essentials stay organized and hidden.
- Extremely versatile and can be used for daily outings as well as during airport security checks.
- Some Amazon users have mentioned that the buckle felt cheap or it broke after a couple weeks of wearing it.
- Belt stretches to around 20 to 50” circumference, so it may be tight or not fit correctly around plus size hips.
Pro Tip: If you do not want to wear your money belt, you can also pack it inside of your backpack or purse! I would only suggest carrying this money belt when you’re traveling to and at the airport, and in place with a lot of people! Just in case someone takes your bags, you will have your money belt safely on you or under your clothes.
My Experience Using Money Belts:
I have over 8+ years of experience traveling with a money belt. Basically, anytime I travel, especially abroad, I use a money belt. I personally like to wear my belt over my clothes, similar to fanny pack.
However, any time I am with a lot of people, and worried about being pickpocketed, I quickly strap the belt underneath my clothes and don’t have to worry any more.
I love that the money belt has two major pockets with tons of storage inside for your passport, travel documents, cards, and cash.
I highly recommend having a money belt anytime that you travel, especially, if your going to crowded areas known for pickpocketing or unable to carry a bag.
Ensure the security of your belongings with SURE LOCK TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Locks.
- These easy-to-use locks are TSA-approved and fit various luggage types, offering peace of mind when traveling solo.
- The cable lock adds an extra layer of security to your belongings.
- Reduces the risk of you becoming an “easy target” while in public.
- It is not impenetrable and can be cut with pliers.
- But the likelihood of someone having pliers on them while in public is low. So it can deter most thieves from targeting you.
My Experience Using Luggage Locks:
I have over 3+ years of experience traveling with luggage locks and I absolutely love it! You can set an easy to remember (but not easy to guess) combination and travel confidently knowing that no one will take your items from your suitcase.
This comes in handy when you leave your bags at the hotel reception counter, inside the hotel room during cleaning, or any other time that you are away from your bag. I highly recommend using luggage locks, especially if you have valuable items in your bags.
Addalock The Original Portable Door Lock:
Whenever you’re staying in hotels, hostels, or Airbnbs you can sleep better at night knowing you have an extra layer of security.
- The Addalock Portable Door Lock provides an additional layer of security, offering peace of mind when you’re resting in unfamiliar accommodations.
- It’s easy installation and no-tools-required setup make it a hassle-free addition to your travel gear.
- Many amazon users have reported that the lock only fits on certain size doors or hotel rooms.
- Couple amazon users have reported that when they installed the lock, it caused the door to be locked from the inside out.
Travel insurance is something that I recommend all travelers to have whether you are traveling alone, traveling internationally, or traveling with a group. Travel insurance can help you protect yourself from common travel accidents like a missed flight or lost luggage and can even help you during unexpected medical emergencies.
If you’re considering if travel insurance is worth it, then let me assure you that it is (and I highly recommended it). Travel insurance can help you protect yourself from common travel accidents like a missed flight or lost luggage and can even help you during unexpected medical emergencies.
Before your next solo trip, look into one of the best solo travel insurance companies so you can pick the best insurance plans based on your travel style and needs.
Best Electronics for Solo Travel Essentials Review:
If you’re traveling aboard, then you must also read the international travel essentials to ensure you have everything needed when traveling the globe.
Universal Travel Adapter:
By having a universal travel adapter, you can simplify charging your devices worldwide with multiple ports. This is perfect for all international solo travelers.
- Works in over 200 countries and regions!
- Can charge multiple devices at one time
- Features such as overheating protection, over voltage protection, short-circuit voltage, shock resistant, cruise friendly.
- Does not convert voltage.
- Does not support any device with “120V, 60Hz” or “household use only”.
- Make sure to check all hair tools, electric shavers, toothbrushes, etc.
My Experience Using a Universal Adapter:
During my first solo trip abroad to Europe, I bought a type C adapter, not realizing that it wouldn’t work outside of European countries. Meaning, when I traveled to Africa, I had to buy a whole new adapter.
Which is a huge rookie mistake!
Which is why during my trip to Africa, I bought a universal adapter that can be used in over 200 countries! So I didn’t have to worry about buying a new charging adapter for every country I traveled to.
I absolutely love the universal adapter, as you get to charge multiple devices at one time. I never experience the adapter burning out or frying small devices (but do not try to power large voltage items). I highly recommend investing in a universal adapter, especially if you plan to travel to more than 1 countries throughout your life.
GlocalMe G4 Pro 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot:
Staying connected while traveling solo is essential! Especially when you find yourself in areas with no or limited Wi-Fi access. Which is why this mobile hotspot can be such a great game changer for all solo travelers or digital nomads.
- This mobile hotspot router ensures you stay connected to the internet at all times!, Even when you’re abroad without access to your regular phone plan.
- This hotspot provides peace of mind, allowing you to access maps, communication apps, and emergency services when needed.
Solar Powered Portable Charger:
You never want to run out of battery during your solo travel! Or you never want to be worrying about a draining battery as you’re taking instagram worthy pictures! Which is why having a portable charger is essential for every traveler!
- The portable charger provides a reliable power source to keep your devices charged.
- Water, dust, and shockproof!
- With its lightweight design and substantial charging capacity, you won’t have to worry about finding a charging station or cafe when your phone is running low.
- Can recharge using electricity or solar powered UV Rays!
- Not only is this great for the planet (since you are using less electricity) but it’s also great to use during all hiking or outdoor activities!
- Some amazon users have reported that they experienced solo recharging times or that the the power bank stopped charging after an hour.
- Some users have complained that the power bank is too large and heavy at 1.3 pounds (0.6 kilograms).
My Experience Using a Solar Power Bank:
I have been using a solar power bank for a little over a year, and I absolutely love it! I love how it’s environmentally friendly and versatile as you can easily charge it from the sun rays or indoor electricity. Which is perfect if you’re going hiking or are in remote areas with limited access to electricity.
I also love how heavy duty or sturdy the powerbank is, as it does not feel like it would break if I drop it (and I drop everything, so sturdiness is important to me!).
Whenever you travel, it’s important to carry a power bank with you in case of emergencies, so why not use a solar power bank.
Apple airtags are awesome when knowing where your luggage and other items are at all times. Simply connect to the airtag using your iphone bluetooth and drop one of these airtags in each of your luggage and you will be able to know the location of your items. This is great when checking a bag at the airport, or if you are unfortunately ever robbed.
- Is water and dust resistant, so it can hold up well to accidental spills or rain exposure.
- Can pinpoint the location of your belongings.
- Cannot use apple tags between more than 1 phone.
- Some amazon users have complained that the volume is to soft to be clearly heard even while in the same room.
Trust me, you never want to be on a 3+ hour flight or long train ride without headphones! That would be absolute torture to yourself! So always make sure to pack the Marshall Motif A.N.C. Wireless Headphones in your carry on or bag.
- These ultra-comfortable earbuds offer 20 hours of playtime on a single charge.
- Their customizable active noise-canceling capabilities allow you to tune out distractions and enjoy your journey in peace.
Pro Traveler Tip: Also pack headphones with an Aux end so you plug it into all inflight tv for constant entertainment!
My Experience Using Wireless Headphones:
I have been using wireless headphones for the last several years. I don’t just use it while I am traveling, but I also use it in everyday life. In fact, wireless headphones are the third thing I put in my purse after my keys and cards. I highly recommend bringing wireless headphones with you whenever you travel or in everyday life.
Pro solo safety travel tip: Never use both earbuds in when you’re walking or in public. You always want to hear your surrounding areas in case anything were to happen.
Nintendo Switch Lite:
Having entertainment at your fingertips is essential during long travel days or unexpected delays.
- The Nintendo Switch Lite is the ideal companion for solo travelers, offering a vast library of games to keep you occupied.
- It’s handheld design fits easily in your carry-on, ensuring you have a reliable source of entertainment wherever you go.
Best Must Have Items Review:
Rain Resistant Backpack:
Having a rain resistant backpack is a game-changer for solo and all travelers in general! I have personally used this bag during all of my solo travel trips and I absolutely love it!
- You can use it for day trips, hikes, or to carry all your solo travel essentials like a water bottle and phone chargers while on the move.
- It’s compact design makes it easy to store when not in use, ensuring you’re always prepared for your next adventure.
Pro Traveler Tip: Whenever I am traveling abroad, I will pack my suitcase and use this backpack as my carry on.
My Experience Using Rain Resistant Backpack:
I use my rain resistant backpack anytime I am traveling or hiking, even if I don’t anticipate any rainy days. I love that the backpack is lightweight and can easily be folded into another small bag in case I am limited on luggage space.
The backpack is made from water resistant material, so I highly recommend getting a shell rain cover that goes over your backpack, to make it fully waterproof. I personally used this when I traveled to Iceland and it was a lifesaver!
I personally recommended getting a water resistant backpack, because the weather is unpredictable but you can always be prepared.
Rainproof and wind resistant Jacket:
A lightweight rain jacket is an absolute solo travel essential! No matter the weather or region I am traveling to, I always make sure to pack this jacket!
- Not only does it keep you warm, but it’s also incredibly compact, fitting easily into your suitcase.
- Rain and wind resistant.
- You can even use it as a makeshift pillow or eye mask, ensuring comfort during long flights or unexpected layovers.
Pro Traveler Tip: You can also pack a long sleeve shirt or thermal and use this jacket to keep you well insulated during cold temperatures.
My Experience Using Rain and Wind Resistant Jackets:
I pack my rain and wind resistant jacket anytime that I travel. I love that it’s lightweight and can be easily washed and dried after a heavy rain storm.
It’s also sometimes difficult to find a jacket that is BOTH rain and wind resistant, which is why I cherish my jacket. I highly recommend getting a wind and rain resistant jacket to carry with you during your travels, or during your next rain storm.
As a solo traveler, it may be difficult to get awesome pictures of yourself without awkwardly asking other people to do so. Which is why capturing your favorite memories using a reliable tripod is essential for every traveler!
- Tripods are versatile and flexible, allowing you to secure your camera or smartphone in various positions.
- Its robust construction ensures stability, whether you’re on solid ground or wrapping it around unique surfaces to get that perfect shot.
- Some amazon users have experienced that the mechanism that holds the phone is tipsy/wobbly especially in outdoor wind conditions.
Reusable Water Bottle:
Staying hydrated while traveling is crucial! Easily stay hydrated as you travel the world or your local area!
- This reusable water bottle so you can save money from buying cheap water bottles while saving both money and the environment.
- Stays up to 24 hours cold with Insulated Stainless Steel
- BPA/BPS-Free, Phthalate-Free, Filters Fluoride, Lead, Chlorine
- Have to buy a new bottle filter every 3-5 months, and the replacement filters can get expensive.
My Experience Using Reusable Water Bottle:
I have personally used this water bottle for the past 3 years, and use it during my daily life and my must have when traveling! The filter is easy to detach, making the cleaning process hassle free!
I love how long the filters can last and how you don’t have to worry about all the micro toxicons from regular tap or water bottles. I absolutely love my reusable water bottle and highly recommend it to everyone!
A travel journal is perhaps the most essential item for solo travelers. It’s your personal record of your journey, capturing your thoughts, experiences, and memories. It’s your story, and this journal helps you tell it!
Pack versatile and comfortable clothing suitable for the climate and activities at your destination. Here’s a quick checklist:
- Rain jacket
- Light sweater
- 2-4 bottoms
- 5-7 tops
- 1-2 dresses
- 1 nice outfit
- 1 swimsuit
- 7-10 underwear
- 3-4 bras
- 7-10 socks
- 1 set of pajamas
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of hiking shoes
- 1 pair of sandals or flip flops
- 1 hat
- Minimal jewelry
Pro Traveler Tip: Less is more when it comes to clothing. So you should pack light so you to leave room for souvenirs and new clothes you might acquire during your journey.
With the right solo travel essentials, you can explore the world confidently, safely, comfortable, and in your style.
I have used many of the items mentioned above and they have always enhanced my solo trips and I hope that they also help you.
So from my travel bag to yours, these solo travel essentials can help you whether you’re a seasoned solo traveler or planning your first solo adventure!
For more tips and inspiration on different ways to travel, subscribe to the email list below. You can discover real travel itineraries, unlock my traveler secrets, and exclusive offers just for you!