Are you ready to embark on your next trip of a lifetime from across the United States?
Whether you are traveling solo for the first time or an experienced traveler looking for your next big adventure, these best places to travel solo as a female in the US are sure to inspire your next vacation!
As a solo female traveler myself, I understand the thrill of exploring new places on your own. As such, I understand the importance that we place on a location’s safety, affordability, and unique activities available.
Which is why I have already done all the research for you. So you can easily identify the best travel destination for you based on your traveling style and needs.
So, let’s dive in and explore the five best places to travel for solo female travel in US.
New York City, New York:
New York City is a dynamic and vibrant city that offers a mix of iconic landmarks, diverse cultural experiences, and an endless array of activities, making it a perfect destination for solo travelers seeking urban exploration.
Not only is New York City a great domestic spot to visit within the United States, but it is also one of the best destinations for a solo vacation across the world. So when it comes to things to do and solo travelers enjoying themselves, the Big Apple doesn’t play around.
Highlights of New York City:
- While in New York you must visit the iconic Times Square that stretches over 5 blocks and lights up New York City throughout any time of the day. Along Times Square, you can visit enjoy a Broadway show or explore the Lincoln Center. You can simply go for a stroll across and take pictures throughout the iconic area.
- If you’re interested in working up a sweat while enjoying stunning views, then I suggest walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. This bridge is approximately 1.1 miles in length and offers stunning views of the Manhattan skyline.
Safety and Security: Rating – 4/5
New York City is known for its constant hustle and bustle, which contributes to a general sense of safety, especially in well-trafficked tourist areas. In fact, according to the US News Real Estate, in 2023, New York had a lower crime rate than similarly sized metro areas. With its well-lit streets and bustling atmosphere, NYC ensures you’re in good hands.
However, due to its densely populated areas, petty theft does commonly occur. So it is essential to stay alert and know these safety tips for solo travelers to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Budget and Affordability: Rating – 3/5
While NYC is often associated with high living and travel costs, there are plenty of budget-friendly experiences that you can enjoy.
For example, you can enjoy free attractions like the High Line, and use the city’s extensive public transportation system to navigate affordably.
Safety and Budget Tip: Try to stay in women-friendly hostels and solo travel communities that can provide you with extra support when you need it. Plus, this can reduce your stress on budget, while potentially making new friends!
Portland, Oregon, is known for its fun attractions, vibrant art scene, and scenic national parks (which is my personal favorite). Making it the perfect destination for solo travelers looking to explore the mixture of urban and natural experiences.
Highlights of Portland:
- While in Portland, you must visit Powell’s City of Books. Which is the world’s largest independent bookstore, an entire block long, offering new, used, and rare books. It’s a paradise for book lovers and a great place to meet fellow literary enthusiasts.
- Portland’s Japanese Garden is a must-do activity for any traveler looking to enjoy the beauty of nature in a calm environment. This Japanese Garden spans over 12 acres and is considered the most authentic Japanese garden outside of Japan. You can also enjoy the view of Mt. Hood from the Pavilion, which is breathtaking!
- Just a short drive from Portland, Multnomah Falls offers stunning natural beauty and is one of Oregon’s prime tourist attractions. Here you can enjoy a short hiking trip of 2.4 miles up to Oregon’s tallest waterfall.
Safety and Security: Rating – 4.5/5
Portland has an extremely laid-back and inclusive atmosphere and is generally safe for solo travelers. In fact, according to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program report by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), In 2021 Oregon’s crime rate was lower than the national average
Along with plenty of hiking trails throughout the countless nature parks, the city has plenty of sidewalks so you can easily walk and navigate the city. However, as in any destination, use common sense precautions so you can ensure a comfortable and secure visit.
Budget and Affordability: Rating – 4/5
Portland is known for its affordability as you can enjoy low-cost attractions like the Rose Test Garden. Plus, you can take advantage of the extensive public transport system so you easily travel on a budget.
Austin, Texas, renowned for its eclectic and vibrant atmosphere, is a haven for solo travelers seeking a blend of musical heritage, outdoor adventures, and a rich culinary scene.
Highlights of Austin:
- Known as the “Live Music Capital of the World,” Austin’s Sixth Street is a must-visit for music enthusiasts. Every night, the area comes alive with sounds ranging from country to indie rock. You can hop from one venue to another, experiencing the city’s soulful vibe while enjoying the food at delicious restaurants.
- If you’re a nature lover, you can head to Lady Bird Lake. Here you can rent a kayak or a paddleboard and enjoy a peaceful time on the water, with a unique view of the city skyline.
- Stroll down South Congress (SoCo) Avenue, a bustling street known for its quirky shops, cool cafes, and vibrant street art. It’s the ideal spot for solo travelers to immerse themselves in Austin’s unique culture and maybe pick up some one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
Safety and Security: Rating – 4/5
Austin is generally a safe city for solo travelers, as they are known for its friendly locals and laid-back atmosphere. In fact, according to the US News Real Estate, in 2020, the Austin Texas metropolitan area’s violent crime rate was lower than the national rate. But just like in any place, stay aware of your surroundings.
Budget and Affordability: Rating – 4.5/5
Austin offers a range of budget-friendly options, from affordable food trucks serving up delicious eats to free outdoor activities like exploring Zilker Park. The city’s public transportation, including buses and light rail, is a cost-effective way to get around.
Seattle, Washington, is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes such as Mt. Rainier, the Olympic Mountains, as well as the Cascade Range. Everywhere you look, the city is filled with charm, nature, and a well-infused sense of culture and art.
I have personally traveled to Seattle and I absolutely loved it! From the iconic Space Needle to the bustling Pike Market Place, Seattle has easily become one of my favorite cities on the West coast.
Highlights of Seattle:
- While in Seattle, you must visit Pike Place Market, which is Seattle’s original farmers market. When I first traveled to Seattle, I initially thought “Why would anyone want to go to a marketplace during their vacation”. But boy was I wrong!
- Pike Place Market is not just about fresh produce and seafood. It’s a cultural hub where you can watch the famous fish toss, explore unique crafts, and taste delicious food. While you are here, you can visit over 220+ independently owned stores and buy anything your heart wants. Pikes Place is easily one of my favorite places across the west coast and is a place that I keep going back to for more.
- Space Needle is an iconic landmark and a symbol of Seattle’s forward-thinking and creative spirit. This 605-foot-tall building is one of the most photographed structures in the world. As you take a fun elevator ride up to the top, you can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the city, Puget Sound, and Mount Rainier.
- A short ferry ride from the city, Alki Beach offers stunning views of the Seattle skyline. It’s a perfect spot for a peaceful stroll, a picnic, or even some beach volleyball if you’re feeling energetic.
Safety and Security: Rating – 4/5
Seattle is known for its friendly and open-minded community, making it a safe city for solo female travelers.
In fact, according to a Uniform Crime Reporting Program report by the FBI, In 2021 Seattle’s crime rate was lower than the national average. The city’s commitment to safety is evident in its well-maintained public spaces and proactive law enforcement.
Plus, Seattle is extremely easy to navigate and walk within the downtown area, so I felt very safe when traveling throughout Seattle. However, it’s always good practice to stay alert, especially while exploring less crowded areas.
Budget and Affordability Rating – 3.5/5
While Seattle is not the cheapest destination, it does offer various budget-friendly experiences. You can enjoy free attractions like the Olympic Sculpture Park, and use the city’s excellent public transportation system, including the light rail and buses, for affordable and easy navigation.
If you looking to save money, then try to visit during the off-season and use these budgeting travel tips to plan a budget-friendly trip.
Charleston, South Carolina:
Charleston, South Carolina, is a great destination if you enjoy the Southern charm of rich history, culture, and well-preserved architecture at historic sites.
Highlights of Charleston:
- Historic Downtown Charleston, you can enjoy 18th and 19th-century architecture homes, including the iconic Rainbow Row for a colorful photo opportunity. You can also enjoy the cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and plenty of stores to dine and shop.
- While in Charleston, you must visit Magnolia Plantation to experience one of America’s oldest public gardens. The lush, romantic garden, rich with vibrant flowers and greenery, is a peaceful retreat. The plantation also offers a glimpse into the area’s history.
- Accessible by a short ferry ride, Fort Sumter is a must-visit for history buffs. This national monument is where the first shots of the Civil War were fired. So it is rich in cultural history and provides stunning views of Charleston Harbor.
Safety and Security: Rating – 4/5
In Charleston, hospitality isn’t just a word; it’s a way of life. Charleston is renowned for its friendly locals and laid-back atmosphere, making it a safe destination for solo travelers. Plus, the city’s close-knit community and welcoming atmosphere contribute to its safe environment that feels like home.
According to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program report by the FBI, In 2021, Charleston consistently maintained a lower crime rate than the national average. So you can safely walk through many neighborhoods and throughout the town, just always proceed with caution and stay vigilant.
Budget and Affordability: Rating – 3.5/5
While Charleston can be a bit pricey, especially in tourist-heavy areas, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the city on a budget. You can enjoy free walking tours, public parks, and beaches to experience Charleston’s charm in a budget friendly way.
There you have it! If you are looking for a solo traveler’s paradise, now you have plenty to choose from the perfect weekend getaway or your next big adventure.
Whether you’re strutting your stuff on Broadway in NYC, two-stepping in Austin, or basking in Charleston’s Southern charm, these best places to travel solo as a female in the US have your back.
For more tips and inspiration on different ways to travel, subscribe to the email list below. You can discover real travel itineraries, unlock my traveler secrets, and exclusive offers just for you!